Benefits of singing/rhyming with young children
- Gives children a sense of love, security and comfort
- Helps teach structure (flow/rhythm) of language
- Helps build vocabulary
- Fun way to teach abc’s, 123’s and other important concepts
- Helps children learn communication rules
How to sing/rhyme with young children
- Choose a few short songs and rhymes (at the start)
- Repeat, repeat, repeat the same songs/rhymes
- Sing sloowwlly, at a pace your child can comfortably follow
- Follow your child’s interest and lead. Repeat and again, repeat where she wants; stop/change when he wants. It is okay to not sing a song to the end.
- Don’t make your child repeat after you (unless he/she wants to).
Remember it is not an exam. Have fun.